Where Is Surbiton?
The town of Surbiton is situated in South-West London on the banks of the river Thames. With a population of 45, 000 it is an integral part of the Royal Borough of Kingston Upon Thames and is approximately 11 miles from central London. Although now deemed to be Greater London Surbiton was once, prior to 1965, part of Surrey.
The present-day town came into existence after a plan to build a London-Southampton railway line through nearby Kingston was rejected by the Council, who thought it would be detrimental to the lucrative coaching trade. This outcome was that the line was routed further south, through a cutting in the hill. Surbiton railway station finally opened in 1838, and was initially named Kingston-upon-Railway. It was then renamed Surbiton to distinguish it from the new Kingston railway station .
What is Surbiton Famous for?
Surbiton is commonly seen as an icon of suburbia. This is mainly down to the British television sitcom The Good Life which was aired in the 1970’s. This classic sitcom about a middle class couple who decide to turn their home into a self-sufficient farm, starring Richard Briers, Felicity Kendal, Penelope Keith and Paul Eddington
The guitarist and singer-songwriter Eric Clapton is known to have links to Surbiton as did David Essex. Other notable people to have lived in the area include the novelist Thomas Hardy and Enid Blyton.
In recent times Surbiton has appeared in Harry Potter. The 1930’s art deco Surbiton Railway station features in the 2009 film version of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.
Things To Do in Surbiton
Take advantage of Surbitons proximity to the River Thames and take a leisurely stroll along to Kingston. This is particularly pleasant on a summers day and has great bars to stop off at on the way. The best outdoor activities in Surbiton according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- Claremont Gardens (Surbiton town centre)
- Berrylands Nature Reserve
- The Wood and Richard Jefferies Bird Sanctuary
- Fishponds Park
- Victoria recreation ground
While you’re in Surbiton you’ll not be short of options to grab a quick pint or a pub lunch. On exiting the station you’ll find a selection of bars to drink in from cheap pints in wetherspoons to pricier options further along the road. Below you’ll find a list of bars we’d recommend.
- https://www.thegrovekt6.co.uk/ Excellent bar for all the family with a large garden to enjoy the summer sun.
- https://www.thevictoriasurbiton.co.uk/ A lovely traditional pub in the heart of Surbiton. Good beer selection.
- https://www.princeofwalessurbiton.co.uk/ A cosy local bar with outside garden. Live music a couple of Saturdays a month is worth checking-out.
- https://www.blacklionsurbiton.co.uk/ This is a favourite to watch football and rugby. A friendly bar with a good atmosphere and excellent food.
- https://hotelbosco.co.uk/boscolounge/ If you’re after a late night drink in Surbiton this is where to head.